Home  / JAC

Jackson Collection. Material connected to Wiltshire, collected by J E Jackson, FSA

Reference code
JAC
Title
Jackson Collection. Material connected to Wiltshire, collected by J E Jackson, FSA
Date
13th-19th century
Level of description
Fonds
Extent and format
Fourteen volumes. Folio. Half leather, black (JAC/0014 with green boards), with red lettering-pieces.
Scope and content
Materials collected by Canon John Edward Jackson, FSA (1805-91), rector of Leigh Delamere, near Chippenham, Wilts., for a projected history of Wiltshire; compiled over many years and including original deeds, drawings, etc., 13th-19th century. Canon Jackson published many local and parish histories, edited John Aubrey's Wiltshire Topographical Collections (1862), and arranged and indexed the MSS at Longleat where he acted as librarian. See the memoir of Canon Jackson and list of his works in J Stratford, Catalogue of the Jackson Collection of Manuscript Fragments in the Royal Library Windsor Castle (Academic Press, London, 1981), 11-41, 43-61; C R J Currie, C P Lewis (eds.), English County Histories A Guide (1994), 420-1.
The arrangement is mostly alphabetical by parish; JAC/008 contains, at the end, papers relating to Canon Jackson's parish, Leigh Delamere; JAC/013,014 contain miscellaneous papers, some relating to Somerset and Gloucestershire.
The collection consists mainly of secondary material: transcripts, notes, printed pamphlets and maps, press-cuttings, etc. Scattered through the volumes are a number of original deeds, autograph letters, topographical drawings, watercolours, early sepia prints, engravings and early printed matter, of which the more important or unusual items are indicated in the record for each volume.
Creator
Jackson, John Edward (1805-1891), Anglican clergyman, antiquary, librarian to Lord Bath
Previous reference number(s)
SAL/MS/817/1-14
MS 817
Archival history
Presented, 16 Apr.1891, by John Houlson Jackson, nephew and executor of Canon Jackson. Proc., 2nd ser., 13 (1889-91), 300, 315, 322.

The collection was received by SA in the form of loose papers (note by H S Milman, Director SA, 9 Apr.1892, in JAC/001); these were further sorted and arranged by the Rev. Charles William Shickle, FSA (d. 1927), who mounted the numerous papers on large sheets which were bound in massive volumes (note, ibid., flyleaf).
Contents