Home  / WIL

Willson Collection

Reference code
WIL
Title
Willson Collection
Date
c. 1808-53
Level of description
Fonds
Extent and format
Quarto and folio volumes, portfolios, etc., and one roll.
Scope and content
Collections of Edward James Willson, FSA, of Lincoln (1787-1854), architect and antiquary; with some earlier material, mostly 18th century. Willson worked with his father, then carpenter and joiner of Lincoln Cathedral, and restored the wooden ceiling of the Longland chantry; he later qualified as an architect, and as County Surveyor restored Lincoln Castle and many Lincolnshire churches. He wrote the text for Pugin's drawings in Specimens of Gothic Architecture (1821-5) and Examples of Gothic Architecture (1831-6) and collaborated with John Britton in a series of topographical publications. For further details see the Gentleman's Magazine, March 1855 (extract in WIL/04, pp. 4-5); The Builder (6 Jan. 1855). See also C. R. J. Currie, C.P. Lewis (eds.), English County Histories. A Guide (Alan Sutton, Stroud, Glos., 1994), 250.
Creator
Willson, Edward James (1787-1854), antiquary and architect
Previous reference number(s)
SAL/MS/786
System of arrangement
The collections consist of a series of volumes (WIL/01-20) and drawings, plans, engravings, etc., in portfolios and albums (WIL/A-M) with a roll (WIL/N). For full details of contents see the catalogue by Lincolnshire Archives and Lincolnshire Museum Service (1982; print-out in SAL). WIL/10 is an unused number.
Contents