Home  / JAC/013

Chippenham, Hinton Charterhouse and Norton St Philip

Reference code
JAC/013
Title
Chippenham, Hinton Charterhouse and Norton St Philip
Date
1543-1801
Level of description
series
Scope and content
Box of miscellaneous papers relating to Chippenham, Hinton Charterhouse and Norton St Philip:- (1) Chippenham: copies, c. 1800, of borough charters, 1553, 1685, and other Chippenham documents; folio volume, bound in vellum, containing extracts from borough records, mostly 1598-1817, with printed papers and a pen drawing of a standing figure annotated 'from old Mr Davis's drawing Chippenham'; abstract of title to the manor of Chippenham, farms and lands, 1684-97;- (2) Hinton Charterhouse, Somerset: license, Latin, to Richard Andrews and Leonard Chamberleyn to alienate Freshford mill, formerly the property of Hinton Charterhouse, 24 July 1543, with fragment of the Great Seal of Henry VIII; deed of sale of lands in Hinton Charterhouse, 1700; case and opinion relating to tithes of Hinton, 1801; two sepia wash drawings by John Langley Fryer of Bath of Farleigh Lodge Farm, and the interior of the hall of Hinton Charterhouse, with a pencil drawing; engravings, printed matter, notes and extracts;- (3) Norton St Philip, Somerset: bastardy bond, 1673; release of lands in Norton to Judith Audry, 1703; agreement between Edward Aprice of West Ashton and Judith Audry that lands in Norton should be security for payment of £750, 1708; terrier of parish and tithes, 1637, copied c. 1780.
Creator
Jackson, John Edward (1805-1891), Anglican clergyman, antiquary, librarian to Lord Bath
Previous reference number(s)
SAL/MS/817/13